Courts in Panipat
Panipat is a major industrial district in Haryana state. It has thousands of small industries competing with medium and large scale industries for the overall growth of this region. The city has grown manifold in terms of infrastructure, industries, and population since its establishment as a separate district in 1989. Earlier it was a part of Karnal district in Haryana. After this separation, strong need was felt for civil and general administration of this district. Judiciary being an integral part of it, Court of Additional District and Sessions Judge was set up in Panipat which was later replaced by the Court of District & Sessions Judge.
Court of District and Sessions Judge in Panipat
At that time, the court in Panipat was set up at Kabri wali Kothi. Later, on 2nd May 1990, the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge was established in Panipat with Mr. Suresh Chand Jain as the city’s first Additional District and Sessions Judge. The court proceedings took place in the same building till 2010 when new judicial complex of Panipat was initiated. Hon’ble Justice Mr. Mukul Mudgal who was then the chief Justice of High Court of Punjab & Haryana, inaugurated this complex.
It was the same year when Panipat was declared to be separate Sessions Division by State government through its notification dated 16th December 2010. The System of judiciary in the city was reinvented with this initiative and Shri Kailash Chand Sharma became the first District & Sessions Judge of Panipat district in 2011.
Jurisdiction of the Court of District & Sessions Judge in Panipat
- 1 District & Sessions Judge
- 3 Additional District & Sessions Judges
- Court of Civil Judge (Senior Division)
- Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate
- Court of Additional Civil Judges (Senior Division)
- 6 Courts of Civil Judges (Junior Division)
In Panipat, the Civil Judges have the powers of Judicial Magistrates and Rent Collectors entrusted upon them. Under East Punjab Urban Rent Restriction Act as well as Motor Accident Claim Tribunal, the District & Sessions Judge and Additional District & Sessions Judge enjoy the powers of Appellate Authority. Civil Judges of Panipat Sessions Division and Appellate courts exercise unlimited financial jurisdictions as well.
Rules followed by the Court of District & Sessions Judge in Panipat
- The Civil Manual
- The Criminal Manual
- The Code of Civil Procedure
- The Code of Criminal Procedure
- High Court Rules & Orders- Vol I, II, III, IV, V, VI
- The Haryana Civil Services Rules
- The Haryana Financial Rules
- The Haryana Budget Manual
- The Haryana Treasury Rules
- The other Government Resolutions, Circulars, and Gazettes etc. issued by Haryana Government along with the Resolutions, Circulars and Notifications issued by Hon’ble High Court of the state, whenever applicable.