Industries in PanipatHaryana Government has always emphasized on development of industries in the entire state. Apart from major cities, emerging towns like Panipat are given impetus to lead this bandwagon. As a result, Panipat has risen as industrial hub of whole Northern India with its small to big textile industries, handloom industries, and large scale heavy industries. The city has shown unprecedented progression in the economy of this region. Though, the history of industrial development in Panipat dates back to early period in post independence era of India.
Since then, this city has marched ahead under diligent leadership of its businessmen with the help of government support system. Over the years, it has earned various distinctions in the field of industry, exports, trade, and commerce for Haryana state. The handloom made ups from Panipat are world renowned for their craftsmanship and premium quality. It can be rightly said that if Panipat could recover from the melancholy of three gruesome battles fought on this land, credit goes to its handloom and other industries.
Facts about Panipat Industries
- Panipat along with its sub division Samalkha has the largest network of Handloom industries in the country. All the segments of Handloom industries in Panipat jointly provide employment to around 2 lac people and churn out annual turnover of Rs. 4000 crores.
- Total exports of handloom from country have 50% contribution from industries in Panipat.
- It has the highest numbers of shoddy spinning units in the world.
- The exports of woolen hand tufted carpets from Panipat won it the Gold Trophy for highest amount of exports from Export Promotion Council.
- Panipat alone holds 75% share for supplying barrack blankets to Indian Armed forces.
- Panipat offers lucrative wages to the workers handling its handlooms or power looms. As compared to average national wages, they are paid in the bracket of Rs. 100 to Rs. 250 per day. This attracts a large number of workers from adjoining states to settle down in Panipat.
- Samalkha sub division of Panipat is the largest producer of agricultural machineries which are supplied to Uttar Pradesh in large numbers.
- It is among the very few small cities that have heavy industries like Indian Oil Refinery, Panipat Thermal Power Plant, and plant of National Fertilizers Limited.
- The first Carding Machine in India was manufactured in Panipat by Mr. Ramesh Dutt Sharma under his unit named as Ramesh Carding Machinery and Safe Works.
Support System for Industries in PanipatThe growth of industries in Panipat is highly attributable to various government bodies and other institutions that lend their helping hand to them. This support mechanism for industries served the various needs of their existence and performance for a sustainable development of economy in this district. Their support to the clusters of Panipat has strengthened their operations in the recent past and maintained the steering growth of these industries despite heavy recession. These institutions are:
Textile Committees in Panipat:Under Ministry of textiles, Regional Textile Committees are statutory bodies entrusted with functions like inspection of export oriented handloom products, Consultancy for quality certifications, training of personnel, market analysis, and testing of textiles at its state of the art labs.
Weavers Service Centers:These service centers offer the hand made as well as computer generated designs for textile industries in accordance with latest global trends. They also impart training and technical assistance in dyeing, designing, and weaving techniques. These weavers’ service centers conduct workshops and organize exhibitions of dyeing and printing to emphasize on latest trends and techniques. They prepare woven samples for various textures and shade cards of dyed yarns for handloom and textile industries. Apart from these functions, they also inspect power looms for violation of any law and complete documentation of latest designs developed by them.
NITRA:In Panipat, the Power Loom Service Centers of NITRA offer training to unskilled weavers and other specialized trainings for upgrading skills like CAD, Jacquard designing, physical and chemical testing of yarns, fabrics, chemicals, and dyes.
It also helps to conduct various physical tests, chemical tests, and eco tests for these industries along with the consultancy services including design development, conservation of energy and resources, ISO 9000 certification, and treatment plants.
Joint Director of Foreign Trade in PanipatThis office under Government of India, Ministry of Commerce is also established in Panipat to encourage the export capacity of this city. It serves the purposes of issuing Export- Import code numbers, duty credit passbook on exports, advance licenses to exporters, special import license, capital goods machinery licenses, registration cum membership certificate, and trading house/ export house certificates.
NHDC or National Handloom Development Corporation in Panipat:To supply the raw materials to the co operative societies, exporters, and weavers at lowest possible prices, NHDC has its office in Panipat. Its functions include quality recommendations and registration of sales with DIC or Government for smooth functioning of textile units in the city.
District Industries Center in Panipat:This office in the city provides services like registration of SSI, implementation of Handloom Reservation Act, recommendations for duty exemptions for electricity, recommendation for DEPM and DDHPY along with support for Prime Minister Rozgar Yojana.
Quality Marking Centers for Textile Industries in Panipat:This oldest quality marking center was established by state government under Industries Department of Haryana for testing of yarns, chemicals, fabrics, etc.
Inland Container Depot in Panipat:The city has its own Inland Container Depot but due to some hindrances it is not fully utilized by the local exporters. This ICD has capacity of 800 containers out of which around 60-70 containers are shipped out. Exporters prefer taking the ICD route from Delhi which is just 90 Km away from city for their shipments.
Types of Industries in PanipatPanipat is out and out an industrial city with numerous small scale, medium scale, and large scale industries functioning here. It has heavy industries like Indian Oil Refinery on one hand and small food processing industries on another.
Textile Industries in PanipatThe textile industries alone in Panipat are divided into 8 segments that are all related to textiles business of this place. These segments of Textile industry in Panipat are:
Handloom Industries in Panipat:This city of handlooms has over 50000 pit looms and frame looms across Panipat. Most of their products are manufactured for exports which are estimated at Rs. 1200 crores annually. Providing employment to more than one lac workers, these handloom industries of Panipat basically exports durries weaved in pit looms, Jacquard fabric from frame looms, and heavy structured durries from Panja loom.
Power Loom Industries in Panipat:This is the fastest growing segment of textile industries in Panipat. They cater to both domestic and foreign markets through their 1500 units. These units collectively possess 25000 ordinary power looms. There are more than 60 units operating 1100 shuttle less looms as well in Panipat offering employment to around 30000 people. Their range of products include bed sheets, upholstery, and curtains made from fabrics like cotton, silk, polyster, prolypropylene, and acrylic. Apart from these domestic market products, they produce export oriented goods like kitchen linen, table mats, bed covers, and quilts.
Carpet Industries in Panipat:Northern parts of India have many well known carpet industries in Bhadohi, Benaras, Mirzapur, and Agra. To compete with them, Carpet industries of Panipat also produce premium quality carpets at much affordable prices. The hand tufted carpets of Panipat are priced much below than those manufactured in other pockets. Employing around 60000 men, there are more than 400 units giving annual turnover above Rs.150 crores.
The raw materials for these industries are imported and also are acquired from local suppliers as well as cities like Jodhpur and Bikaner. The carpets produced in these factories are mainly exported with only 10% remaining to be sold in domestic markets. The carpets manufactured here include designed hand tufted and plain handloom carpets.
Shoddy and Woolen Yarn Spinning Industries in Panipat:Panipat has around 350 such units catering to demands from local markets, Bhadohi, Bikaner, and Amritsar for use in blanket and carpet industries. Panipat is the largest importer of rags used for this processing. These rags are imported from European nations and then, spun into shoddy yarn.
Cotton Yarn Spinning Industries in Panipat:Panipat has more than 45 open end spinning units and 5 ring frame spinning units for cotton yarn. Open end units get their raw material in the form of their waste cotton from ring frame units of South India.
While the ring frame units fetch their raw materials from other cities of Haryana and neighboring states like UP, Punjab, and Rajasthan. 75% produce of these industries is consumed by handloom industries of Panipat and only 25% is sold in outside markets.
Woolen Blanket Industries in Panipat:Panipat stands second only to Amritsar in producing woolen shawls, loi, and blankets. Major share of 70% from these industries is sold to government by Panipat industries. Around 400 units under this industry provide employment to approx 25000 workers to generate turnover of about Rs. 250 crores.
Cotton Wet Processing Industries in Panipat:For cotton wet processing, there are around 350 dye units and more than 75 printing units in Panipat. They include Yarn dyeing through manual and machine Hank dyeing units, Bleaching units for fabric and chindi bleaching, Fabric dyeing through mechanized and manual Jigger dyeing units, Printing units for screen, block, and transfer printing.
Woolen Processing Industries in Panipat:These industries are basically set up to give finishing touch to the blankets manufactured in Panipat. There are more than a hundred such units catering to woolen blanket industries of the city.
Large and Medium Scale Industries in PanipatPanipat district has many medium to large scale industries as well. These industries are well diversified over all sectors of economy ranging from oil to beverages and thermal power. Currently, the city has around 37 such units out of which 3 are heavy industries from public sector and remaining are medium sized companies. These industries provide employment opportunities to approx 8500 persons and churn out production of around Rs. 25000 crores every year.
Public Sector Companies in Panipat:
- Indian Oil Corporation Refinery
- National Fertilizers Limited Plant
- Panipat Tau Devi Lal Thermal Power Station
Medium / Large scale companies in Panipat:
- Natural Food Products (India) (NESTLE Ltd.) Samalkha.
- Aradhna Soft Drinks Co., Panipat.
- Golden Terry Towel Pvt. Ltd., Jhattipur (Panipat).
- Aggarsain Spinners Ltd., Jhattipur (Panipat).
- Om Overseas, 80 Mile Stone, G.T.Road, Jhattipur, PNP
- Jay Pee Cement Grinding Unit, Village Khukhrana, P.O.Aassan- Kalan
- Grasim Industries Ltd., Near Tau Devi Lal Station, Israna, Panipat
- Naphtha Crackers Plant (IOC Ltd), Village Baljatan, Distt. Panipat
- Pan Foods Ltd., G.T. Road, Panipat
- Gaba Overseas (P) Ltd, Sector-25, HUDA, Panipat
- Paliwal India Pvt. Ltd., Sector-25, HUDA, Panipat
- Harisons & Harlaj Ltd., Jatal Road, Panipat
- Venkeys (India) Ltd, Vill. Dikadla (Samalkha), Distt. Panipat
Food Processing Industries in PanipatPanipat has about 25 food processing units for products like pickles (The famous Pachranga Achar of Panipat), rice, milk products, confectionery, biscuits, hatcheries, and soft drinks. These units provide employment to around 900 people with turnover above 250 crores. The city has these industries also flourishing with its large and medium sized enterprises.
New Industries in Panipat
- Issuance of provisional and permanent Registration Certificates for setting up new industries under MSME categories: Joint Director, District Industries Center
Address: Near Holy Park, Panipat
- Consultancy for profiles of projects, technical and managerial assistance, market, and economic surveys are conducted by MSME-DI at Karnal which is a neighboring city to Panipat.
Address: 11-A, Near ITI Chowk, Kunjpura Road, Karnal
- Land acquisition and industrial shed are provided by HSIIDC in Panipat.
- There are leading district as well as nationalized banks like Punjab national Bank and HDFC Bank to offer financial support for new industries in Panipat
- Raw materials, plant and machinery can be obtained on hire or purchase basis from NSIC in Panipat.
- Electricity supply is provided by Uttar Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam in Panipat
- For quality checks and maintaining standards of products, there is BIS in Chandigarh which provides support to Panipat industries.
- For assistance in marketing and exports, there are agencies like Director General of Foreign trade
Address: L-482, Model Town, Panipat
- Also there is Export Inspection Council at New Delhi to render assistance to new and established exporters of Panipat.